Emotional Support

Support from Oregon

The University of Oregon has a 24-hour confidential hotline where you can speak with a specially trained therapist who can guide you through your options in getting help at 541‑346‑7233 (SAFE).

Additionally, the University Health Center and the University Counseling Center have confidential resources on campus where you can receive help and support without the university being informed of the incident. They are great resources to use if you know you would not like to report the incident or if you would like to talk over the options with a trained professional.

Back to top

Support in the Area

Students have the option of contacting outside community agencies for support, which do not have the same obligation as the university to report or investigate incidents.

Sexual Assault Support Services (SASS)
541-343-7277 (SASS)
SASS is a non-profit organization providing outreach, advocacy, and support to survivors of sexual violence and their partners, families, and friends throughout Eugene-Springfield and the rest of Lane County.

  • Their advocates listen, believe, support, accompany, offer information and referrals, and provide peer counseling to survivors of assault, past and present
  • They maintain a 24-hour crisis and support line and offer 24-hour advocacy for survivors of sexual assault and sexual abuse

Womenspace is a non-profit organization that provides the following services to survivors of domestic or dating violence and stalking in Lane County:

  • Emergency shelter
  • 24-hour crisis line
  • Support groups
  • Transitional programs
  • Community education
  • Legal advocacy
  • Rural advocacy

Lane County Victim Services
Lane County Victim Services utilizes volunteers assigned to the court advocacy unit, the protective order unit, and the family violence unit. The goal of the program is to provide comprehensive services to adult crime victims involved in the criminal justice system, whether or not they are involved with the prosecution of the offender.

Outside agencies do not have authority to independently arrange on-campus remediation such as on-campus housing changes, academic accommodations, assistance with financial aid, student employment, or other campus needs.

Back to top

Emotions & Self-Care

Seeking Support

  • Counselor / Therapist / Psychologist: It's okay to seek outside support, and you can talk to a professional therapist, counselor, or psychologist through Oregon or the local community. Students can use the the Counseling Center free of charge. Learn more about Support from Oregon.
  • Crisis Centers: Crisis centers are places dedicated to supporting survivors of sexual assault or abuse and often provide counseling, support programs, legal referrals, and access to advocates (also called Rape Crisis Centers). Find a center near you: Support In the Area.
  • Advocates: Sometimes called survivor advocates or victim advocates, these are compassionate allies who can support you by accompanying you to a medical or forensic exam, explaining your reporting options, helping you find support services, and referring you to legal resources. Connect with the local crisis center in your area to talk to an advocate.

Common Emotional Responses

There is no right or wrong emotional response to an experience of unwanted sexual contact; each person will have their own reaction. It’s common to experience a mix of emotions and feelings, like sadness, anger, confusion, shame, or uncertainty of what to do next.

It can be useful to seek support and practice active self-care to aid the healing process.  Below are some tips and reminders for taking care of yourself throughout your process.


Self-care is an important part of healing. While you may feel pressure from others to respond in a certain way, your only obligation is to your own healing.  You are in the best position to know what you need.

  • Check in with yourself about your sleeping, eating, exercise, and substance use patterns. Your physical health is directly connected to your emotional well-being. If you feel tired or emotionally drained, consider incorporating meditation or other relaxation practices into your daily routine.
  • Processing what happened in a safe environment is important; if you do not feel safe in your school environment due to ongoing contact with the perpetrator, you have the right to change your housing accommodations or class schedule. Read more about College Policies and Your Title IX Rights

Remember that you are not alone, and it's okay to seek out support, whether through friends, an advocate, online communities, a crisis center, or a counselor or therapist.

Back to top

Nationally & Globally

Nonconsensual or unwanted sexual contact is never okay, regardless of the state or country in which it occurs. Below are resources to find information and support nationally and internationally.

RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network)
RAINN is the largest US network supporting survivors of sexual assault and abuse, and offers a free, completely anonymous and confidential 24/7 online chat service that you can access from anywhere around the globe. Chat with a trained RAINN support specialist anytime at online.rainn.org. Learn more at the RAINN resources website.   

U.S. Department of State -  Office of Overseas Citizens Services
The State Department can help you contact family or friends, obtain medical care, address emergency needs, understand the local criminal justice process and connect with local and/or US-based resources for victims of crime, including local legal representation. The first step is often connecting with the local US consulate or embassy.

Back to top